Do you ever experience excessive nervousness, worry, and stress that will not go away? Do you get upset thinking about the future? Do you ruminate over the past? Do you catastrophize things that are trivial? If so, you might be struggling with an anxiety disorder. Learn how tot take control of your anxiety and stop worrying.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a nervous disorder where a person experiences a sensation of
excessive agitation and worry. Anxiety can coexist with panic attacks and compulsive behaviors. Some common symptoms of anxiety include restlessness, fatigue, sweating, unwanted or racing thoughts, inability to concentrate, insomnia, and a racing heartbeat. Most medical professionals recommend counseling to manage mild to moderate anxiety. For severe cases, medications such as antidepressants and benzodiazepines may be prescribed. Along with a good medication regime, you can overcome your anxiety with mindfulness meditation and by making positive changes that allow you to live in the moment.
What is Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness Meditation is an ancient Buddhist practice. It is over 2,500 years old and is also known as Insight Meditation. This type of meditation is designed to remain present in the moment. Mindfulness meditation is known to empower those who suffer from anxiety and can be a lifesaver for many. Just by being mindful of the moment you can stop yourself from ruminating about the past and worrying about the future. Instead, by focusing on the here and now you will notice that chances are at this very moment things are not all that bad.
Why People Worry
Everyone worries, sometimes and occasionally you worry with good reason, but worrying can get out of hand. Anxiety and worrying go hand in hand like brother and sister.
Here are a few things you might be worrying about right now:
- Over your Family
- Over your Love Life
- Over your Academics and Education
- Over your Job Security
- Over your Financial Stability
- Over your Looks
- Over your Diet
- Over your Health
- Over your Mortality
- Over your Future
Worrying is a reasonable response to stressors in life, good or bad, and frequently stems from a fear of the unknown. Fear is a powerful emotion and can wreck havoc on your mind and body. Those who worry are more likely to experience things like irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue, and nausea. It is important to make positive changes that will help you overcome your anxiety.
Ways to Stop Worrying
- Make a list of all your worries because the first step to overcoming anxiety is to know what might be causing it.
- Prioritize your list by separating your actionable stressors from your ‘what ifs.’ For instance, worrying about failing a class is an actionable concern. It means you can start studying and make a plan not to fail. Whereas worrying about what if can’t find a job after school is a problem that you can conquer by living in the moment.
- Take your time and do not make any rash decisions. Before you do anything about your anxiety, try to remove the sense of urgency from it. Chances are there is not all too much you can do about it at the moment, except slow down your thoughts and calm yourself.
- Express yourself by allowing yourself to feel your emotions. By letting emotions flow without putting judgment on them, can minimize stress and chances are after experiencing your feelings you will be less stressed and better equipped to handle whatever it might be that is worrying you.
These are four actionable steps you can take right now to ease your worries and anxiety. These methods might take practice, but they work.
All in all, if you take the time to be mindful, live in the moment, and make positive changes in your life, you will be able to overcome your anxieties. It puts the controls back in your hands, and you get to choose when you want to worry or stress about something instead of finding yourself helplessly worrying about things that are out of your control.
People who have recovered from anxiety will be the first to tell you that you are not alone. In fact, you are stronger than your fears and can overcome them. All it takes is a willingness to be mindful.
What is Mindfulness Meditation? Click To Tweet Why do People Worry? Click To Tweet Ways to Stop Worrying: Take Control of Your Anxiety Today! Click To Tweet
Latest posts by Sierra Martin (see all)
- Ways to Stop Worrying: Take Control of Your Anxiety Today! - September 19, 2017
- 21 Things Only Those With Chronic Illness Understands - September 8, 2017